Connect with us

Published

on

CHENNAI: Indian Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) Vigraha was launched at Kattupalli Chennai on Tuesday.

Indian Coast Guard on Tuesday said in a tweet, “OPV Vigraha launched by Mrs Hema Somanathan, wife of DR TV Somanathan, IAS, Secy(Exp), MoF in presence of Director General K Natarajan & other dignitaries of Central & State Govt today at L&T”

OPV Vigraha, the last of the seven series OPV, was built by L&T Shipbuilding under the contract signed between the Ministry of Defence and L&T Ltd on 30 Mar 2015. This was the first time that the contract for building an OPV class of vessel had been given to a private shipyard, in this case, Larsen and Toubro Ltd in line with the Government’s policy of “Make in India”.

The vessel was launched by Hema Somanathan, wife of IAS Secretary (Expenditure), Ministry of Finance DR TV Somanathan, who was present as the chief guest at the launching ceremony held in Chennai. The ceremony was observed by Director General K Natarajan, PTM, TM, Director General Indian Coast Guard, and Inspector General S Paramesh, PTM, TM, Commander Coast Guard Region (East).

@IndiaCoastGuard OPV Vigraha launched by Mrs Hema Somanathan, wife of Dr TV Somanathan, IAS, Secy(Exp), MoF in pre… https://t.co/PBa6iLztCq

— Indian Coast Guard (@IndiaCoastGuard) 1601968329000

The length of the OPV is 98 metres and breadth is 14.8 metres with a gross tonnage of 2,100 tons. The lasting power of the vessel is 5,000 nautical miles at cruising speed. The cruising speed of the ship is 12-14 knots with a maximum speed of 26 knots. The ship is fitted with two diesel driven engines of 9,000 kW each with low-level consumption, high TBO, and complying to IMO tier-II norms. The ship will be fitted with a 30mm 2A42 gun and two 12.7 mm gun and equipped with integral twin engine helicopter which will enhance its operational, surveillance, search and rescue potentiality.

The 7th OPV is likely to be introduced into the Indian Coast Guard in March 2021 after the completion of extensive trials and testing for the equipment and pieces of machinery fitted onboard.

The ship would be manned by 102 crew, including 14 officers and 88 subordinate officers and enrolled personnel. It would be utilised for day and night patrol along with anti-terrorism and anti-smuggling operations in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and coastal security. The vessels will have two navigation radars and ultra-modern technology including sophisticated navigational and latest communication system which are capable of operating in tropical conditions. The expected life span of the ship is more than 25 years.

Despite the restriction faced by industries across the world due to the coronavirus pandemic, the synchronised efforts of the ICG Overseeing Team with L&T Shipbuilding have resulted in the timely launching of the vessel. This milestone will ensure timely delivery of the vessel to ICG which is the need of the hour in today’s existing security scenario.

The Times of India is an Indian English-language daily newspaper owned by The Times Group. It is the third-largest newspaper in India by circulation and largest selling English-language daily in the world. according to Audit Bureau of Circulations.

Click to comment

INDIA

‘I am not afraid of resigning’: Punjab CM Amarinder slams Centre, moves resolution against farm laws

Published

on

‘i-am-not-afraid-of-resigning’:-punjab-cm-amarinder-slams-centre,-moves-resolution-against-farm-laws

CHANDIGARH: CHANDIGARH: Saying that he is not afraid of dismissal of his government, chief minister Amarinder Singh on Tuesday moved three bills in the Punjab assembly to counter the Centre’s farm laws, which have triggered protests by farmers and opposition parties in different parts of the country including Punjab.

“I am not afraid of resigning. I am not afraid if my government is dismissed. But I will not let the farmers suffer or be ruined,” the Punjab CM said while introducing these resolutions.

The resolution also rejected the Centre’s proposed Electricity (Amendment) Bill 2020.

Singh appealed to all parties to rise above their political interests to save Punjab.

Cautioning the Centre against allowing the situation to get out of hand, Amarinder Singh said: “If the farm laws are not revoked, angry youths can come out on the streets to join the farmers, leading to chaos. The way things are going on, the situation has the potential to disturb the peaceful atmosphere in the state.”

He said that this is what had happened in the 80s and 90s when Sikh militancy had gripped Punjab.

“Both China and Pakistan will collude and try to take advantage of any disruption in the state’s peace, which will pose a serious threat to national security,” he added.

The resolution expressed the state assembly’s “deep regret” over the “callous and inconsiderate attitude of the Government of India in attending to the concerns of the farming community on recent farm legislation enacted by them”.

“The assembly is constrained to unanimously reject the three legislations and the proposed Electricity (Amendment) Bill, 2020,” stated the resolution, which was read out by the Speaker.

The three bills introduced by Singh to counter the Centre’s laws are — the Farmers Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Special Provisions and Punjab Amendment Bill 2020, the Essential Commodities (Special Provisions and Punjab Amendment) Bill 2020, and the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services (Special Provisions and Punjab Amendment) Bill 2020.

The chief minister said these bills would form the basis of the state’s legal battle ahead.

The Centre has been saying that the three farm laws will raise farmers’ income, free them from the clutches of the middleman and usher in new technology in farming.

The opposition and some farmers’ organisations have, however, been agitating against the laws alleging they will destroy the minimum support price mechanism, end Agricultural Produce Market Committees and allow corporates to arm-twist farmers.

(With inputs from agencies)

Continue Reading

INDIA

Elections during Covid: Poll spending limit enhanced by 10%

Published

on

elections-during-covid:-poll-spending-limit-enhanced-by-10%

NEW DELHI: Poll spending limit for candidates in Bihar assembly poll as well as impending bypolls to one Lok Sabha seat and 59 assembly seats stands enhanced by 10%, with the Central government notifying the higher expenditure ceiling recommended by the Election Commission for all polls to be held during the Covid-19 pandemic.

In line with the EC proposal sent to the law ministry last month, the limit for all states/UTs where the cap for Lok Sabha poll was Rs 70 lakh, has been raised to Rs 77 lakh; and for states/UTs with Rs 54 lakh as existing limit, to Rs 59.4 lakh. For assembly polls, candidates in states/UTs with Rs 28 lakh as the expenditure limit, can now spend up to Rs 30.8 lakh and those with Rs 20 lakh as existing limit, up to Rs 22 lakh.

As per the notification issued by the law ministry on Monday, the enhanced poll expenditure limits will remain in force till such date as may be notified by the Central government.

The raised limits are set to come as a relief for political parties and candidates as they deal with additional expenditure on public rallies and meetings in view of precautions that need to be taken in line with Covid-19 health protocols. This included additional expenditure on sanitisers, masks and regulation of crowds so as to adhere to social distancing norms.

EC had, while seeking a 10% hike in expenditure limit for all polls and bypolls to be held during the Covid-19 pandemic, justified it saying that the precautionary measures to be taken by candidates while interacting with the public would entail a cost additional to normal expenditure incurred during the campaign. Also, a larger number of smaller gatherings may need to be organised with large gatherings not feasible, it had added.

Meanwhile, EC is also contemplating a permanent revision in the ceiling on expenditure by a candidate in Lok Sabha/assembly poll. Sources said the EC will be setting up a committee to revisit the poll spending limit for all future polls in view of the country’s total electorate having grown by 1.1 times from 834 million to 921 million and cost inflation index going up 1.37 times from 220 to 301 between 2014, when the poll spending limit was last raised, and 2020.

Continue Reading

INDIA

Time has come to stop blanket extension of bails, paroles for Covid-19 reason: HC

Published

on

time-has-come-to-stop-blanket-extension-of-bails,-paroles-for-covid-19-reason:-hc

NEW DELHI: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday observed that its blanket order extending interim bails and paroles granted to prisoners in view of the Covid-19 pandemic should come to an end as the number of infected persons in jails here was only three.

According to the director general (prisons), over 6,700 prisoners are out on bail or parole and continue to remain outside in view of the blanket order passed and extended from time-to-time by a full bench of the high court.

The DG Prisons also told the high court that the three jails – Tihar, Rohini and Mandoli – in the national capital together have a capacity of around 10,000, but presently there were 15,900 prisoners lodged in them.

The full bench headed by Chief Justice D N Patel on Tuesday said, “Let us bring to an end the Covid-19 chapter. Let these people surrender or go back to jail. We passed the order in view of the pandemic. Our order has nothing to do with overcrowding of the jails. We are not concerned by the nature of the crimes.”

“The Covid chapter is over. The other reasons for grant or extension of bail and parole can continue. We will go back to the situation that prevailed in January-February this year,” he added.

The bench also observed that the prison was taking care of the issue and those who had tested positive for Covid-19 in jails have been hospitalised.

The Chief Justice said the judges of the full bench, also including Justices Siddharth Mridul and Talwant Singh, will sit together and take a decision on whether to extend the blanket or not.

The observations by the bench came while hearing an application, moved by one of the prosecutors dealing with the northeast Delhi riots cases in the trial courts, seeking modification of the high court’s July 13 and July 24 orders by which it had clarified that its orders extending interim bails/paroles would be applicable to everyone granted the relief before or after March 16.

The application has alleged that the two orders were being misused by the accused in the riots cases by seeking bail on grounds of family illness or some such other reasons, instead of seeking regular bail, and then getting the same extended on the basis of the high court’s direction.

The lawyer told the bench during the hearing around 20 accused in the riots cases were out on interim bail on some pretext and are now enjoying the benefits of the high court’s blanket order.

He also said that the prosecution opposes grant of bail in such cases as the accused do not surrender after the bail expires in view of the high court order.

Delhi government standing counsel (criminal) Rahul Mehra, appearing for the DG Prisons, told the bench that removing the blanket order would go against the spirit of the Supreme Court’s order to decongest jails during the pandemic as COVID-19 cases have not gone down in the national capital.

He further said that the decongestion of the prisons has not led to any increase in crimes or anarchy in the city.

The high court on September 28 had said it will not permit misuse of its orders and it will recall its extension order if it was being misused.

The bench said, “If they (prisoners) are misusing it, we will stop it and then let them suffer.”

The high court on August 24 had extended till October 31 all the interim orders which were to expire on or after August 31 in cases that are before it as also the district courts in view of the persisting Covid-19 pandemic.

It had also extended the relief in cases related to those who were enlarged on interim bail or parole and may carry Covid-19 infection.

If interim bail of anyone is ending, they are required to surrender to the already congested and over-crowded jails, which may not be in a position to strictly maintain physical distancing amongst inmates, it may pose a risk of unchecked spread of the virus, the court had said.

On March 25, the high court had extended till May 15 the interim orders in all matters pending before it and subordinate courts in view of the coronavirus-triggered lockdown. Thereafter, the relief was extended from time-to-time.

Continue Reading

Facebook Trending

You May Like

Black Lives Matter

Trending