Connect with us

Technology

Covid-19 data breach: FM ‘doesn’t know’ when ministers first told

Published

on

covid-19-data-breach:-fm-‘doesn’t-know’-when-ministers-first-told

A laboratory technician holds a container of test tubes containing coronavirus test samplesImage copyright
Getty Images

First Minister Mark Drakeford has said he does not know when the Welsh Government was first told about a data breach involving 18,000 people who tested positive for coronavirus.

He faced calls to apologise for the Public Health Wales (PHW) breach, which saw details put on a public website.

PHW on Monday said the Welsh Government was told on 2 September.

Mr Drakeford said the incident was a “serious matter” and that he himself first learned about it on Monday.

Details of more than 18,000 people, including initials, date of birth, geographical area and sex, were published on the PHW website at 14:00 on 30 August.

It was not removed until 09:55 the next morning. PHW revealed the breach to the public in a statement on Monday.

In the Senedd on Tuesday Welsh Conservative group leader Paul Davies asked Mr Drakeford to apologise to the people affected.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

The information was online for 20 hours before being taken down

Mr Drakeford, in response, said: “I learned of this data breach yesterday, and I learned of it as a result of Public Health Wales’ statement.”

“It is a serious matter when data regulations are not properly observed.”

He said PHW had been right to apologise to those concerned.

“Th

Official feed of BBC News, The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is a British public service broadcaster. Headquartered at Broadcasting House in Westminster, London, it is the world's oldest national broadcaster, and the largest broadcaster in the world by number of employees.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Technology

Taio Cruz quits TikTok after ‘suicidal thoughts’

Published

on

By

taio-cruz-quits-tiktok-after-‘suicidal-thoughts’
Taio Cruz
Image caption

Taio Cruz was only on TikTok for a matter of days before deleting his account.

Pop star Taio Cruz has opened up about his reasons for quitting TikTok, saying he wanted to preserve his mental health after having “suicidal thoughts”.

The musician, whose hits include Dynamite and Break Your Heart, said he had been targeted by “hateful” videos and comments on the video-sharing app.

“My body was shaking and I had suicidal thoughts,” he explained on Instagram.

“I pride myself on being mentally resilient so the fact that I felt that way, shocked even me.”

The 35-year-old added: “Some users posted hateful, mocking videos which spurred a feedback loop of negativity, where more and more people began to join in on the mockery and hate.

“My intention was to make some fun videos and interact with my fans, but some, whom I won’t mention, were averse to that.

“For my own mental health, I would rather be where I’m welcomed, for now, TikTok is not that place. Social media shouldn’t be like this, sadly it is.”

 

The London-born singer rose to fame in the late 2000s, scoring two number one singles in the UK, and writing for artists including Jennifer Lopez, Usher and David Guetta.

He joined TikTok earlier this week and quickly gained 85,000 followers – but abruptly deleted all his videos on Wednesday, posting a message that read: “Never in my life have I had a more negative experience than the past few days on here”.

“This community is not for me,” he added.

The BBC understands that the musician was targeted by messages accusing of him of being irrelevant and “begging for clout”.

One user who wrote, “I just saw one of his videos [and] scrolled so fast,” received a response from the star – who simply posted the shrug emoji.

The majority of the comment

 

Continue Reading

Technology

Harley-Davidson to exit world’s biggest bike market

Published

on

By

harley-davidson-to-exit-world’s-biggest-bike-market

Actor Jesse Metcalfe riding a Harley-DavidsonImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Actor Jesse Metcalfe riding a Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson is pulling out of India, the world’s biggest motorcycle market.

The iconic US motorcycle brand is stopping manufacturing and massively scaling back its sales operations.

Harley’s decision comes weeks after Toyota said it wouldn’t expand further in India due to the country’s high tax regime.

The exit is a blow for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s efforts to lure or retain foreign manufacturers.

Harley’s departure involves $75m (£59m) in restructuring costs, around 70 redundancies and the closure of its Bawal plant in northern India.

The plant was opened in 2011 but Harley-Davidson has struggled to compete with local brand Hero as well as Japan’s Honda.

About 17 million motorcycles and scooters are sold each year in India.

More setbacks

While it is cheaper than many other developing economies, India has proven a tough market to crack for foreign automakers.

General Motors pulled out of the country in 2017 while Ford agreed last year to move most of its assets into a joint venture with Indian vehicle giant Mahindra & Mahindra.

US President Donald Trump has previously complained about India’s high taxes, specifically mentioning the levies placed on Harley-Davidson bikes.

India’s import tariffs were slashed by 50% but the brand has still struggled in the competitive market.

Harley has also been suffering its own problems and recorded its first quarterly loss in more than a decade between April and June this year.

It has been cutting hundreds of jobs under its new chief executive Jochen Zeitz and focusing on core markets and models.

Harley couldn’t play the game

By Nikhil Inamdar, BBC News’ India business correspondent

Harley Davidson came into India with much fanfare a decade ago. But it has since, struggled to find a foothold in one of the world’s most lucrative two-wheeler markets.

With sales averaging under 3,000 units every year, the iconic American brand simply couldn’t capitalize on the big Asia opportunity it was betting on.

Auto experts put the blame on the brand’s failure to drive up volumes and derive cost efficiencies by leveraging local tie-ups.

This, coupled with prohibitively high taxes, a slowdown in discretionary spending and an inability to compete with Indian brands may have prompted the decision to call it quits.

“India is a high volume, low margin market. They weren’t structu

Continue Reading

Twitter

John Starr Twitter Director Left the Company after 6 years

Published

on

john starr twitter

In April 2020 John Starr Twitter Director of Trust & Safety Left the Company after 6 years of incredible work. he announced the news on Twitter.

Read Twitter Account Suspended For Shaming Twitter Employees?

Who is John Starr?

You may have heard about Vijaya Gadde, Del Harvey but you may have not heard about John Starr because he was working behind door which means you may have not heard him on public forums, media like others such as Del Harvey and Vijaya but he was responsible for everything and I call him a “unsung hero” but in this article I tell you about his incredible work which he did when he was a Director at Twitter Inc. (From 2014 to April 4 2020)

Mr. John Starr joined Twitter in 2014 with the post of Trust and Safety Manager till 2015, then he promoted to Senior Manager Trust and Safety and next year 2016 he was promoted to Director Trust and Safety Twitter. 

Mr. Starr and his team job were to create a secure and safer place for Twitter users and they succeeded in that. Mr. Starr and his team made a system where everyone was allowed to speak freely on Twitter which we can not speak in daily life when we meet someone face to face. But with that, they faced considerable challenges, such as the accounts of underage prostitution that we call (child pornography), Few pedophiles joined Twitter to promote child pornography and the list was long at that time, Because of this, the reputation of Twitter was getting affected and a lot of people were complaining to Twitter.

Mr. Starr and his team accepted the challenge and within a short period of time they had developed a system and set up a policy and a law. And under this law, Twitter will not tolerate child pornography accounts (Pedophiles) at all and Twitter will not only suspend these accounts, but Twitter will make sure that they (Pedophiles) will never use Twitter platform again. 

Twitter inc has mentioned on their website that “We have a zero-tolerance child sexual exploitation policy on Twitter.” Twitter has zero tolerance towards any material that features or promotes child sexual exploitation, one of the most serious violations of the Twitter Rules

This rule and policy were introduced by Mr. Starr and his team including Vijaya Gadde, Del Harvey and others. Since then Twitter (Mr. Starr) has worked with Child Abuse Experts, NGOs) and today Twitter inc has (ZERO PEDOPHILES) accounts, You will not find any accounts that are promoting sexual child abuse content.

How Mr. Starr was helpful to me?

Everyone should keep in mind that Mr. Starr was a Director at Twitter so he was responsible for everything such as account suspension, restoration and creating a safer place for Twitter users. As I continued to work with law enforcement and government agencies, and during that time I found the most dangerous accounts from promoting terrorism to promoting extremism. I have personally sent numerous emails to Mr. Starr and his team and without getting delayed the 100’s of accounts suspended. 

Not only this but Twitter inc have verified many fake handles who were either not eligible or either they were verified on fake documents when Twitter verification was open for the general public. When it comes to my attention I sent all the list to Mr. Starr and his team and fortunately the “Verified Accounts” who were selling verification badges, sending malicious URLs and promoting hatred were all suspended in no time. Mr. Starr has never disappointed me but today I am sad that he is leaving Twitter after six years. 

I am happy that the laws and policies Mr. John Starr and his team have created are making a positive impact on Twitter today and where users are finding themselves safe. I hope Mr. Starr’s future will be brighter than today and he will have more success.

 

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook

Continue Reading

Trending Facebook

You May Like

Black Lives Matter

Trending

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks