Former Union Minister MJ Akbar’s defamation case against journalist Priya Ramani could not be proved, a Delhi Court said today, acquitting her of all charges. Ms Ramani had accused the former editor of sexual misconduct amid the #MeToo movement of 2018.
Here are five big observations from today’s judgment:
- Sexual abuse takes away dignity and self confidence.
- The social stigma attached with the allegations… society must understand the impact of sexual abuse and harassment on its victims.
- Even a man of (high) social status (standing) can be a sexual harasser.
- Right of reputation can’t be protected at the cost of right to dignity.
- Woman has right to put her grievance even after decades.